Kimberly A. Dorsett
Kimberly A. Dorsett was raised in Gary, South Dakota. After graduating from Deuel High School, Kimberly attended the University of South Dakota, where she graduated magna cum laude with a degree in Criminal Justice. Kimberly graduated law school in 1999 from DePaul University in Chicago, Illinois. Her law school achievements include: Dean’s list, managing editor of the DePaul Law Review, publication of two law review articles, and Order of the Coif, which recognizes those graduating in the top 5% of the class.
Prior to joining the Richardson Law Firm in 2009, Kimberly practiced with Harvey Oliver and Carlyle Richards, in Aberdeen, South Dakota. She also served as the Brown County State’s Attorney for six years and a Special Assistant United States’ Attorney for one year. Kimberly has been a partner at Richardson Law Firm since 2012.
Kimberly and her husband Marshall have a son, Jackson, and a daughter, Taryn.
Areas of Practice
- Employment Law
- Insurance Litigation (Defense)
- Business Litigation
- Estate Planning
- Wills and Trusts
- Workplace Investigations
- Attorney Services to DCS in Child Support Related Matters
- South Dakota State Bar
- United States District Court, District of South Dakota
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Brown County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- South Dakota Bar Association
- American Judicature Society
- South Dakota Defense Lawyers Association
- South Dakota State’s Attorney’s Association
- DePaul University College of Law, Order of the Coif
- DePaul Law Review, Managing Editor (1998-1999)
- Published Author of Note, “Kansas v. Hendricks: Marking the Beginning of a Dangerous New Era in Civil Commitment”, DePaul Law Review, Vol. 48, Fall 1998, No.1.
- Appointed as Special Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of South Dakota under U.S. Attorneys Marty Jackley and Brendan V. Johnson (2007-2010)
- Brown County State’s Attorney (2007-2011)
- President of South Dakota State’s Attorney’s Association (2010-2012)